Monday, July 9, 2007

Waterfalls!

Ok, so this isn't all technically hiking just the 46ers. We had to write about this great hike. I found a book at the Regis Canoe Outfitters in Saranac Lake called Adirondack Waterfall Guide: New York's Cool Cascades. (could have bought on amazon for less!). Anyway, there was an amazing 10 mile hike that covered multiple waterfalls. I have been obsessing about waterfalls and thought boys and I would give it a try. Sadly sadly, my dumb camera decided not to work so I took a few shots with my mobile. This was an amazing hike. We started out at the Ausable Club. Incidentally, what a weird place! I felt like I entered 1950. "Nobody puts Baby in a corner". Ok I digress, once we hiked past the plaid wearing, scary people, we turned right at Lake Road and found trailhead of West River Trail. The entire trail is skirting the Ausable River. It was a fantastic hike. Sometimes it was a trickle, sometimes raging, sometimes we were high up looking down and sometimes we could dip our toes in. The first waterfall was Pyramid. We had to go off main trail only about .2 but were quite disappointed. (or we never actually saw the right waterfall.) From there, we headed to WedgeBrook waterfall, which was absolutely lovely -three different levels with pools and streams between. We had lunch on the rocks there and that had to decide if we were going to continue because we had only hiked about 3 miles. We decided to definitely make it to Beaver Meadow Falls and then decide from there if we could do Rainbow Falls, the grand-daddy. I am really happy we decided to forge on because the next two were in a different league. At Beaver Meadows, the trail gets you close enough to feel the spray from the streams. It was "magical", as Clarke is fond of saying. Of course, we forged on to Rainbow after that. It was really beautiful and the grandest. It was more difficult to get up close to Rainbow then the others. I had the boys crocs in my bag but it was looking like rain and we decided to high-tail it outta there. The great news is the Lake Road is accessible from Rainbow so we didn't have to take trail back, as the boys were getting pretty tired. Lake Road is a flat road that runs parallel to the East and West River Trails. You miss all the beauty and fun but it direct, and paved, and flat - so a great way to head home. We hiked about 8 miles total. Then of course, we called Joe(who was working all day) to meet us at Casa Del Sol for dinner. Margaritas and shirley temples for all my friends

No comments: