Friday, July 27, 2007

The rest of the story

One might think in reading this blog, that we are immune to the little problems of the country. We are too entrenched in our fun world of hiking and canoeing to even notice tiny annoyances and discomforting nuances of country living. I am here to tell you that is usually true, except days like today. Remember those chores I have been putting off? One of them involved taking our garbage to the dump. No trash pick up, except private firms. Quite belated but today was reckoning day. I had the boys sorting recyclables and I walked back to our garbage area to start hauling garbage bags to our car. The horror I encountered will keep me up tonight I believe. A very strong and creative country creature had torn through just about every garbage bag. Trash of all kinds was strewn and wet all over. From this, multiple species of insects had infested. I won't continue with details as this is a PG rated blog. The boys started gagging and ran away (city chickens) and I spent more than an hour, scooping, rebagging, and then hauling a roughly 25 lb "bear proof" container out to the yard to de-infest. Ugh! But there is a happy ending! We finally loaded our car(the stench was overwhelming). The boys were thrilled to pile in for our 15 minute car ride to the dump. As we pulled down our street, I spotted one of the private garbage trucks right in front of me... and this is when City Chutzpah comes in handy in the mountains. I flagged them down, had them pull over to the side of the road, told my tail of woe, and had them load every bag of garbage onto their truck for $15 - SOLD! I now have the card of their company - the price is $20 per month! I will even give up a few Donnelly's runs for that. Now all that remains is figuring out the tricky business of never having this happen again. Sidenote to husband: You're right; we need to keep up with the garbage better.

1 comment:

PCS said...

You can't leave your garbage, even empty cans and bottles outside for even one night. It could have been a bear but was just as likely racoons. The racoons around here can be HUGE.

BTW, thanks for visiting my blog, I'm enjoying yours also. I hope upon your return to Manhattan that you will blog about that experience also. Full-time residents of the Adirondacks need to learn that summer residents are not aliens from another planet.