Tuesday, July 17, 2007

Another Dinner

We've been dining out more than usual this week because we were without water and we blew off our grocery shopping duty until this evening. Tonight we wanted quick, casual, and filling (this applies to about 95% of the restaurants here btw) because we all missed lunch and we wanted close to Price Chopper in Lake Placid. We decided to give Desperados a try because the last time I was there I had the flu and couldn't properly judge. So bad. Lame menu, really poor execution. I am all for standard issue Tex Mex malarchy if you are clear that is your schtick and you prepare it well. This was awful. I tried the tortilla soup which was tomato broth with onions and tortilla chips on the side, not a chicken or lime to be found. Then I ordered ( don't ask my why) the standard taco salad with grilled shrimp. Outrageously bad. The shrimp were in a heated, ketchupy sauce and were the size of snails. I told them to hold the cheese, but little did I know the only other item in the "salad" was lettuce (possibly 1 or 2 tomato chunks). Oscar had a quesadilla which was literally a tortilla microwaved with cheese inside-no accompaniments, not even a browned tortilla. Clarke had deluxe nachos which looked mediocre. I would comment about the margaritas but I don't want to make my husband jealous as he sweats in Manhattan until tomorrow. Prices were same if not higher than Casa Del Sol ( I will wait until my next dinner there to give the low down but they are in different league than Desperado's). When I told Oscar how bad I thought it was he said "well at least the service is nice." Then, we waited and waited and waited for our check and he took it back.

No comments: