Wednesday, October 24, 2007

Saving America

Love my lofty title. OK, so I have been thinking a lot about our two lives lately and thinking lots about politics lately (maybe it has to do with Joe's 24/7 mission ) Though I often dwell on the differences in our apartment vs. the barn, I am convinced I love both these places because they have much in common. Rural and small town America has so much in common with urban living - not all cities but definitely NYC. What many folks don't realize is that living in nyc is the ultimate in small town living. You know your shopkeepers, neighbors know your personal matters, you know all your kids' friends' parents. Small towns and NYC are filled with rich characters. We both relish local and family run vs. convenience of big boxes. I love feeling connected and finding out the little secrets of the places to go and people to see. I love that the guy that knows the brother who's wife is friends with the lady, can help you with your problem.

My neighbors in NYC think I'd be crazy to live in Saranac Lake full time and my neighbors in Saranac Lake think my nyc friends are alien nation but when everyone meets, they realize we are all quirky non-conformists. Kumbaya!

No comments: