Thursday, October 25, 2007

Case in Point

So it's pouring rain and I've just run to Clarke's school to drop off a permission slip he lost/forgot to tell me about/needed in an hour (don't get me started). It's 11:45am and I haven't had breakfast so I decide to duck into a non descript Chinese restaurant on Eighth Avenue (one of about 20 within 10 blocks). I am the only one in the restaurant and I comment to the Vietnamese guy at the front (owner I think) that I can't believe he is Vietnamese and doesn't serve Pho on his menu, as it's my favorite soup. He then says "you want Pho?" and out comes the waiter to tell me they do make it! shhhhhh. He then excitedly tells me they make it the "real way" and it comes to my table 5 minutes later, perfectly prepared with fresh basil, lime, hoisin, rooster sauce and bean sprouts. Luckily it wasn't too authentic and I didn't find tripe, or other organs. I was out the door, warmed and spiced 15 minutes later, having paid the $6.75 check. Per my last post, this is NYC where any minute there can be a fun surprise. I have this same feeling whenever we are in the Adirondacks. In fact, i need to post on the Eat N Meet in Saranac Lake, as these guys are the embodiment of quirky, fabulousness.

PS. NYC being NYC, though, my fortune cookie had an advertisement! (?).

No comments: