Saturday, January 5, 2008

Where we live

Not only do we live in Manhattan, we live in probably the nuttiest place to live in Manhattan. It's midtown, not really a neighborhood, essentially Times Square. Surrounded by lots of business folks and tourists, the kind of tourists who never leave...Times Square. The silver lining is as "business folks", Joe and I can walk to most business meetings and are a short subway ride from all. The other silver lining is that we are walking distance to lots of fantastic arts venues, Central Park, and museums. (Of course the biggest silver lining is that our move here from Chelsea reduced our rent so much that we could buy a barn and still have money left over).

Today, we woke up and went over to Moma (7 blocks). We spent a few leisurely hours seeing the new exhibits. (here's today's favorites ) and then grabbed some Asian for lunch. The boys and I then headed over to the ginormous Times Square movie theater to watch National Treasure (thumbs up) while Joe popped into office to get some work done. We are now watching the presidential debates, Clarke is jamming on his guitar, while we enjoy some tropical weather by our blasting heat -unregulated - with 50 degree temperatures outside. All in all a great day. And last week, we were stoking the wood fire in our fuzzy slippers. It's schizophrenic. As is obvious, the upside is a deep appreciation for both and a mandate to make the most of our lucky living situation. But it's weird.

The last thing I want is the lame country/city cliche "the people are nice but I miss the sushi". There are amazing people, arts, intellectual stimulation, and food (of course) everywhere. But there are things that are not replicatable (if that's a word) in both places. For instance, I don't know if we can continue our careers, which we both like, upstate. Also for instance, I don't think I could possibly replicate our stress levels from the city anywhere else. The stress levels here are truly monumental. So which is more important?

I'll get up from the couch now. Thank you doctor. Will you send me the bill?

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ok, I'm going to risk sounding like a "46er snob" here. I tripped over your blog during a search and was very interested in a "46er family," picturing some hiking adventures and such. I was not completely disappointed, as your blog is for the most part charming and interesting to read, even for a Saranac Lake native such as myself. The "46er" part leaves me a bit cold, however. May I suggest you qualify it somehow? As one who actually made it as a 46er after 26 years, I am proud to wear the patch and title. You should not claim to be a 46er family just because you want to be. It is an accomplishment that means a lot to those who have done it, and falsely claiming the title is deceptive. My hiking partner (who works in Manhatten) was stopped on the street on his way to work the day after he sewed his 46er patch onto his daypack by a guy who asked, "Are you really a 46er?" That kind of recognition is only deserving when the task is complete.

By the way, if you truly aspire to be 46ers, you have a wonderful adventure in store. If you take your obvious sense of adventure and humour with you, you won't be disappointed. Good luck and God bless you in your quest!

Slope Opera said...

Hmmm. I think you have a valid point. We have indeed started our quest, having climbed 3 last year but are quite a ways away from 46! http://46erfamily.blogspot.com/2007_04_01_archive.html

You should also know that we live on W. 46th street in Manhattan, so we thought ourselves quite clever. Maybe too clever? :-) I can't change the blog title but I will be clear about our "status". Incidentally, I can't let you browse without getting some info from a real 46er. We've done "the easy ones" Cascade, Porter, and Giant. What would you recommend next?

Anonymous said...

You have already practiced something that I learned the hard way: if you have two or more peaks that can be hiked together (in your case, Cascade and Porter), do it! That said, Rocky Peak Ridge could have been done w/Giant, although Giant is such a beautiful hike, it's always worth a second look (plus, you can enjoy the nearby Split Rock Falls again at the end of your hike!).

Marcy would not be a bad hike to do next - even though it's the highest elevation, the hike is more gradual than many others (like, Haystack, for instance) and it's a great peak. Prepare to have company, however, it's very popular! You may consider doing Gray Peak on the same day (see above "proximity rule"), although Gray is a "trailless" peak, and has limited markings. Your call.

Another recommendation (I hope I'm not too presumptuous) - intersperse the "trailless" peaks between the others. I saved them for mostly last and wish I had done it a bit differently. Also, Esther/Whiteface is a great hike to save for last because your non-hiking friends and family can drive up and celebrate with you - and you won't have to lug up your party supplies!

Apologies for misspelling "Manhattan," it popped out at me as I looked at my posting.

Looking forward to following your progress.

Anonymous said...

sigh. everyone with their issues.it's more exhausting them climbing.

Anonymous said...

I guess if that were my only "issue," I'd be in high cotton! Sorry to come off that way...

It's obvious that 46er Family has a great love for the ADKs and I wouldn't want to purposely dampen that enthusiasm. Their level of gusto for these mountains certainly could be contagious!