Saturday, May 3, 2008

Too much!


I just dropped off Clarke at his first bar mitzvah celebration. He had a new outfit, new shoes (he was already limping when I dropped him off -yikes), gel in his hair, and a nervous laugh. He never looked more grown up or handsome. He refused to let me take his picture on the street so I snuck my camera into the taxi and he reluctantly allowed it.
I just couldn't stop looking at him. When did he become this mini man? I want to tell him so much and protect him from so much. I want him to understand what it means to be a man...and what doesn't. I want him to be a person of integrity. I want him to love fully, not as a way to stroke his own ego or prop himself up, but as a way to transcend himself. I want him to face his challenges. I want him to appreciate his life, and not take anything or anyone for granted.

Tonight, I will settle for him just having a great time on his first real teenager night.

No comments: